"The Earl of Spencer Historic Inn is one of the oldest taverns in Western Australia. There has been a building on the site since 1865. In 1874 Richard Nesbitt established ‘The Spencer Inn’ as a boarding house and Inn, a beer and wine licence was granted in 1884. In 1925 the Inn was delicensed and converted into a shop. The Nesbitt family owned it until about 1978.
In 1988 the Inn was renovated to its original charm as ‘The Earl of Spencer Historic Inn’. Today ‘The Earl’ is hosted by Spencer and Elise Black and is Albany's premier tavern.